Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Discuss Cat Behaviour / Re: Cat Tail Meanings For Behaviour and Cat mood
« Last post by Think Cat Ems on March 08, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »
These seem to match for Harry, although seemingly he only has limited moods: hungry, cross, sleepy, and happy. There is one tail action we like to call the "question mark" tail, and we like to think he does this when he's curious or content. It is literally a big hanging ? in the air, and is very cute!

Cat Blogs / Re: The (soon to be not so) Secret Life of Harry
« Last post by Think Cat Ems on March 08, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »
Thanks KC! You can buy them on the internet, the one we had was this one

http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Milton-Pets-View-Camera/dp/B0017T7Q00

but nowadays you can get some fancy digital video cameras, as pet technology has apparently come on leaps and bounds!!

As for names, Harry came to us already with his name, and as he was around 3 yrs, we didn't want to rename him. Luckily I'm a big Harry Potter fan, so it suited me fine! His green eyes and black fur suggest that was the reason for his name anyway, especially as I suspect he was named by the children from the family he escaped!

I'm a fan of simple cat names; I want a ginger cat called Colin at some point in the future, but more adventurous names are the most fun.. I just think Colin is a great cat name...!

Other than Ziggy Yota...etc etc and Harry, I've known a Rhubarb and Jazzy (Jasmine) who were brother and sister (Gingerninja will no doubt talk more about them!), and a very sweet, timid cat Tess (Tessa). Goes without saying but yes, loved them all dearly too, and miss them all! <3

ThinkCatsEm
General Discussion / Re: Ziggy
« Last post by Think Cat Ems on March 08, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
 O0

I think we should endeavour to create a cat emoticon with a fro to add to this collection, perhaps using ziggy's face?  :P

Discuss Cat Breeding / Re: Pedigree Breeds!
« Last post by Think Cat Ems on March 08, 2014, 12:55:19 PM »
 :meow:
Think I am inclined to agree with you Kitty_Cat, as a cat lover I think certain breeds are beautiful but i do also think that when it comes to a cat's health, that should be paramount! It is the same with many dogs too but I don't hear it talked about as much with cat breeds, I wonder if you have found the same working with more than just cats?

For example, I know some dogs are bred to be hypoallergenic...Does anyone know of any cat breeds which are less prone to shedding/causing allergies? And if this is known to cause any problems for the cat itself?

Discuss Cat Ownership / MOVED: Pedigree Breeds!
« Last post by Think Cats on March 08, 2014, 09:19:15 AM »
Discuss Cat Behaviour / Cat Tail Meanings For Behaviour and Cat mood
« Last post by Think Cats on March 08, 2014, 09:10:10 AM »
Read a nice article about Cat tails here this morning.

Contented   Tail curves down and then up a the tip.
This is a peaceful contented cat.

Curious & interested   Tail slightly raised and gently curved

Interested & friendly   Tail held vertical but with tip tilting over.
The cat is in a greeting mood but is slightly cautious

Happy   Tail held vertical, tip stiffly held upright.
The cat is ready and willing to greet, with no reservations.

After greeting you   Tail held vertically and quivering.
This is a friendly hello! It is the same action when the cat sprays, he may omit a scent when he does this but this in inconclusive.

Unhappy   Tail lowered, maybe even between legs.
This is a signal of submission, feeling lowly and defeated

Fearful   Tail held low and puffed out
Defensive   Tail arched and bristling.
This is also a cat ready to defend itself if pushed. A cat will always puff itself up when challenged to try and make itself appear bigger and scare the challenger.

Aggressive   Tail held straight and bristling.
This is the sign of aggression

Conflict   Tail swishing violently side to side.
The sign of conflict in its most angry state, usually a sign that the cat is about to attack.

Irritation   Tail still with tip twitching.
A state of mild irritation. But if the tip becomes more vigorous this mean the cat is becoming more bad tempered.

Sexual   Tail held to one side.
Usually performed by the female. This is an invitation to the male when she is ready to be mounted.

Would your understandings tally with these?

:meow:
Cat Blogs / Re: Breakfast With George The Lazy Black Cat A Battle of Wits
« Last post by Think Cats on March 07, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »
Ha! I like the term cat dance, spot on!   :purrcat:  :meow:  O0

You're right of course; how could we possibly ignore them too!? Bless em :)
Discuss Cat Breeding / Re: Pedigree Breeds!
« Last post by kitty_cat on March 07, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »
I have seen lots of pedigrees and dealt with their health issues over my years in animal welfare.

Spynx cats who need to wear jumpers in the winter and sun cream in the summer and need regular baths to keep their skin in good condition. Persians with flat faces who can't breathe properly and have constantly runny eyes. In some cases who even struggle to eat properly!

I don't have anything against breeders, I've met a lot of those to and they love cats. I just think sometimes the human race needs to stop and think ahead before we go making life changing decisions on behalf of other spieces.   :o

KC
Cat Blogs / Re: Breakfast With George The Lazy Black Cat A Battle of Wits
« Last post by kitty_cat on March 07, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »
I'm quite sure all cat loves will identify with you on the 'you haven't fed me for at least a week' dance!!!!

Lemmy follows me around shouting at me until I have fed him, whereas Nicko just curls up and waits. I think he has sussed that Lem will do all the hard work for him!!!!  :P

Putting my best cat behaviour head on though, we are all guilty for fuelling this behaviour. It's called positive reinforcement, as the cat always gets what he wants, even if he has to wait a bit for it. From his point of view scratching at the door, following you around and yowling works, so he keeps doing it!!!!!

We wouldn't have it any other way though would we cat lovers!!!!  :) :)

KC
Cat Blogs / Re: The (soon to be not so) Secret Life of Harry
« Last post by kitty_cat on March 07, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »
Hey!

Also loving the blog Em. I didn't know you could actually get little cameras for cats collars, what a neat idea!!

I would love one for Nicko as he goes all over the village and I'm sure he has many 'homes'!!!  I don't think you'd see much on his camera though except lots and lots of fluff!!!  ;D

Gingerninja, chattering at birds is a very conmmon cat vocalisation!!!  We used to own a Somali called Sambora who chattered away at the birds all the time and every now and then he'd shout a really loud "YOW!", like he was telling the birds off for being on the other side of the window!!!!

Cat names!!! Oh the fun we had with those at the animal shelter!!!!!  Naming whole litters of kittens was a treat!!!  We once had Mrs Billingsly, with her children, Samuel, Muffin, Rudy, Quinn and Missy (if you have young children - you'll get that!!)

My own cats have been Harley and Davidson (brothers!), Pez, Mrs Mouse (changed to Leia), Jon, Sambora, Lemmy, Nicko and Lucy. Loved them all dearly. :-*

KC

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Think Fish Media © 2004-2013 | www.thinkfishmedia.com | Email: info@thinkfishmedia.com
Legal | Contact
Follow Think Fish Media on LinkedIn:
Follow Think Cats on: